Academic Frequently Asked Questions

RB88热博官网 Thank you for your interest in Soka University of America!  Here are some questions often asked by students regarding academics:

  1. When do students generally register for classes?
    Students typically register in mid-November and mid-April of each academic year. For more information see Office of the Registrar.

  2. What can I major in at Soka University?
    There is only one major at Soka University of America, a BA in Liberal Arts with concentrations in Environmental Studies, Humanities, International Studies or Social and Behavioral Sciences. A new concentration in Life Sciences will open in Fall 2020. Degree offerings and concentrations will increase as enrollment grows.  See Catalog.

  3. What languages can I study at SUA?
    All students choose a non-native language to study.  Chinese, French, Japanese and Spanish are offered.
  4. Do I get to choose where I will Study Abroad?
    Students are given a choice of Study Abroad programs, but the program must be in a country where the language the student is studying is spoken.
  5. Who is my academic advisor?
    Meeting and engaging in dialogue regularly with the academic advisor is an integral part of the Soka experience. New students will be assigned a preliminary academic advisor. When a student declares a concentration, he or she should choose an academic advisor in an appropriate academic area. Students may change advisors at any time. The academic calendar provides specific dates for academic advising during which the student should consult with his or her advisor prior to registration for the subsequent session.

    All students are required to meet with their advisors prior to enrollment in classes. In addition, juniors are required to declare a concentration. Failure to meet these requirements will result in an "advisor hold" on the student's academic record, preventing them from registering for classes.

  6. What are the academic requirements to graduate?

  7. Do I need to apply to graduate?
    Yes, at the end of your junior year, if you are graduating the following spring, you must complete the Intent to Graduate Form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.